See how some of our members are celebrating America Recycles Day 2015. To join in on the celebration view some of the activities taking place below or find your own activity to participate in by visiting: America Recycles Day at http://americarecyclesday.org/
Dee Dee G. – City of Key West, FL
The City of Key West, FL is hosting two events. One event is on Saturday, Nov. 21, from 8am-1pm, set up between 6:30am and 7:30am. Yard sale booths ($10), vendor booths just for reused and recycled products and food ($10), educational and activity booths (free).
The second on Nov. 21st is a Key West Recycled Art Contest is free to enter. It is for City of Key West Schools or school programs. Prizes are 1st Place in each category receive $20 and $100 for their classroom or school!
Ray M. – Southern Waste Information eXchange, Inc.
SWIX will be joining The Florida Recycling Partnership for Florida Recycle’s Day at the Capitol on November 3rd.
Willie P. – Solid Waste Authority of Palm Beach County, FL
Celebrate America Recycles Day With The SWA On Nov 14 With Free Document Shredding And Education Center Open House
What: America Recycles Day Celebration
Where: SWA Education Center, 6751 N. Jog Road in West Palm Beach
When: Saturday, Nov. 14 from 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Shred Partner: recordSHRED
What better way to celebrate America Recycles Day than by watching your garbage get recycled into energy, protecting your identity by shredding personal documents, and safely recycling household hazardous wastes?
On Saturday, Nov. 14, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the SWA Education Center, 6751 N. Jog Road in West Palm Beach, Palm Beach County residents can expect:
- A FREE self-guided open-house tour of the cleanest and greenest waste-to-energy facility in North America
- To shred up to 6 boxes of their personal documents for FREE
In addition, residents can:
- Drop off their household hazardous wastes for proper disposal at the Home Chemical and Recycling Center, 6161 N. Jog Road in West Palm Beach (just 1 mile south of event). Regular Saturday hours are 7 a.m. – 5 p.m.
As part of the open house, residents will have the opportunity to sort recyclables on the interactive touch table line in the LEED Platinum designed Education Center, see the 9-ton claw feed trash into the machine in Renewable Energy Facility 2, and be witness to how much garbage Palm Beach County residents actually throw AWAY!
As part of the community shred event, recordSHRED will shred up to 6 boxes of personal documents for FREE. The first 200 cars will receive recycling goodie bags. In addition, the Solid Waste Authority will be handing out blue and yellow recycling bins to those county residents who need them. Participants can also drop off a nonperishable food item to be donated to the Palm Beach County Food Bank. The list of most needed food items is:
- Hot or cold cereal
- Canned stew and chili
- Canned fruit
- Peanut butter
- Canned meats (tuna, salmon, chicken)
- Canned vegetables
- 100% juice – cans or plastic
- Shelf-stable milk
As part of the household hazardous waste drop off, residents can safely dispose of their old automotive fluids, cleaning products, electronics, fluorescent light bulbs, paints, pesticides, pool chemicals, propane cylinders, rechargeable batteries, solvents, used cooking oils, and more. By properly disposing of these materials, our environment is safer.
NOTE: No sharps or old or unwanted prescription medications will be accepted.
Directions to the Event –
- From the Turnpike: take Exit 107 Beeline Highway (SR 710). Make a LEFT (South) on N. Jog Road. Cross the Beeline Highway. Follow signs to the event (Scalehouse).
- From I-95 North: take Exit 76 – Blue Heron Boulevard (SR 708) and head WEST. Cross Military Trail. Pass the VA Hospital. MERGE right onto the Beeline Highway. Make a LEFT (South) on N. Jog Road. Follow signs to the event (Scalehouse).
- From I-95 South: take Exit. 74 – 45th Street (CR 702) and head WEST. Cross Military Trail and Haverhill Road and the Turnpike overpass. Follow signs to the event (Scalehouse).
Dale P. – Stetson University
Ray B. – Orange County Solid Division
Margie H. – Collier County Pubic Utilities, FL
Heather A. – Recycle Florida Today, Inc.
Recycle Florida Today will be joining the Florida Recycling Partnership for Florida Recycle’s Day at the Capitol on Tuesday, November 3rd in Tallahassee, FL.